At this point in preparations we were struggling. The weather had NOT been cooperating. It rained almost every day for a week at the time we were supposed to be getting the manure and lime spread, so we were already about a week behind. After going down the first row with the shaper, we ended up with a small pile, but nothing like the 12" mound we were envisioning at all. The pile was much wider and squared off at the top, and also not packed down at all. It turned out that the rototiller we used did not dig down far enough to bring up enough loose dirt to completely fill the bed shaper. The plates are not height adjustable, so we had to work with the 12" that we had.
It wasn't just going to be learning how to grow lavender. The farming alone was brand new to us. We'd have to teach ourselves about soil, planting methods, watering methods and harvesting. We were going to have to teach ourselves to make products from our lavender, and to develop our own unique recipes. Once the products were made, we'd have to learn to package and market the products. We'd need to learn web design so we could start a website to sell the things we made. We were going to have to learn beekeeping. There were also many other things that would come up along the way that never even crossed our minds.
We are Jerry and Holly McCabe, and we want to share our experiences (both the successes and the failures) as we learn the ins and outs of creating a lavender and honey farm. We are learning as we go. We have literally no experience with farming or raising bees, so it should prove interesting.